This field of Computer Science focuses more on learning how to use various software applications rather than the computer systems themselves. Below is a list of various software application fields and work. These careers may or may not require 4-year degrees and professional certifications.
This field focuses on creating digital images on the computer. Painting, drawing, illustrating, photography, and modeling all fall into this field. The main software in this field are the Adobe products, Photoshop and Illustrator.
This field focuses on the creation and maintenance of web sites.
You will find word processing, slide shows, spreadsheets, and database all over business offices. They may not be as glamorous as other software, but they are the workhorses of software and necessary for businesses. Software includes the Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), Google Docs, Slides, Sheets, and more.
With the rise in companies moving the data to the computer and a boom in Internet business, managing all of the data for companies is big business. How does Amazon keep track of all of the products they sell? How do companies keep track of their users and data? How does Google keep track of your every move and keystroke? This is all through the management of databases of information and is a booming field.
These fields focus on creating 3D graphics on the computer. These graphics are used for games, simulations, animation, virtual reality, engineering design, construction and building trades, 3D printing and more. 3D graphics fall roughly in 2 categories
- Graphics for computer use: animation, games, simulations, and VR. This software includes Blender Maya.
- Graphics for engineering and design to build physical objects. This software includes AutoCAD, Google Sketchup, and many more.
The film industry is booming in New Mexico and they need technical people, not just actors and directors. Work with film production doing lighting, sound, cameras, and set design. You can also join by learning video editing and animation.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) capture, store, and present data and information about the surface of the Earth and things that are on the surface. Think anything to do with satellite data like Google maps, your phone locator and traffic maps.
Los Alamos High School classes related to Software Specialist and Computer Use
- Computer Game Design – Mr. Didier
- Computer Graphics and Modeling – Mr. Didier
- Digital Art I and II – Ms. Lopez
- Digital Photography – Ms. Lopez
- Video Production I & II – Ms. Lovejoy
- Digital Music Production – Ms. Grace
- Yearbook – Ms. Engelking
- Desktop Publishing – Ms. Hurley
- Information Management – Ms. Hurley
Local college and degree programs:
- UNM Fine Arts
- Santa Fe Community College:
- Northern New Mexico Community College
- New Mexico Highlands University
- Institute of American Indian Arts
- Luna Community College
- Fort Lewis College
Out of state colleges and university programs