This tutorial is great if you want to learn how to use Unity to create a more complex, 2D adventure game from scratch. The tutorial requires considerable scripting and will take at least 8 weeks to complete.
This tutorial teaches the following skills
- Using sprite sheets to create characters and animation.
- Using the animator to create sprite animations.
- Adding health systems to your characters.
- Creating tile maps to decorate your world.
- Creating objects with animations, collisions and damage zones.
- Adding cameras and camera motion.
- Creating projectiles and their interactions.
- Adding particles to your animations.
- Creating a heads-up display and user interface.
Since the tutorial is so long, I have broken it down into 2 week projects. Follow the links for more details about each project. The details of the later projects are still being worked on.
- Ruby Rubric #1: Tutorials:
- Setting up the Unity Editor
- Main Character and First Script
- Character Controller and Keyboard Input
- World Design – Tilemaps
- Decorating the World
- Ruby Rubric #2:Tutorials:
- Wold Interaction – Blocking Movement
- World Interactions – Collectibles
- World Interactions – Damage Zones and Enemies
- Ruby Rubric #3: Tutorials:
- Sprite Animation
- World Interactions – Projectiles
- Camera – Cinemachine
- Ruby Rubric #4: Tutorials:
- Visual Styling – Particles
- Visual Styling – User Interface – Heads Up Display
- World Interactions – Dialog Raycast